Sunday, May 21, 2017

6 best quotes from the novel "Siddhartha" by Hermann Hesse

Siddhartha is one of the first novels that introduced Buddhism to Western
audiences. Written in 1922 by Hermann Hesse, it is a quick read of a man
who seeks enlightenment through alternative paths of asceticism and
hedonism.
Man imitates but does not include
A thousand disciples hear his teachings every day, and follow its
regulations every hour, but they are all falling leaves; they do not have
the doctrine and the law themselves.
Your current situation is temporary
Where is Brahman Siddhartha? Where is Siddhartha the Samana [ascetic]?
Where is Siddhartha the rich man? things change fast transients, Govinda,
as you know.
Wisdom can not be taught, known only
Wisdom can not be disclosed. Wisdom a wise man attempts to transmit always
sounds like foolishness.
You are only a small part of the whole
I learned from my body and my soul that I was in great need of sin; I
needed sensual pleasures, ambition goods, vanity, and I needed the most
humiliating desperation to learn to give up my strength, to learn to love
the world, to end compare with world my wishes or my imagination, with some
kind of perfection I had concocted, but to leave it like that, to love and
to be a part of it with pleasure.
Life is meant to be lived
The words serve no secret meaning; always everything immediately becomes a
little different when you express a little fake, a bit silly.
A man should enjoy his own treasure
I am also perfectly satisfied that the treasure of a person of wisdom
always sounds like foolishness to someone else.
Siddhartha was a nice book that has many Buddhist practices in story form.
I recommend it if you're interested in Eastern philosophy.
This article was originally published on Roosh V.
Read more: Siddhartha at Amazon

No comments: