Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Why I rejected evangelical Protestantism to the Eastern Orthodox Church

In 987, Vladimir the Great (later St. Vladimir of Kiev), then a pagan ruler
of Kievan Rus, sent envoys to neighboring countries to study various
religions. He was particularly interested by the Greeks. The Greeks had
preached about the history of the world since its inception. They told him
to another world, and he accepted their religion, he could die and live
forever. But he accepted other religions, he would die and burn in the fire.

Among the Volga Bulgars, his emissaries have described how they worshiped
in their temple, called a mosque, undisciplined way. They described how the
Bulgarians stood untied, greeted, seated and looked around like men
possessed. They continued to report that there was not found happiness
among them, but rather than pain and a foul odor.
Vladimir rejected Judaism that Jews had lost Jerusalem. He concluded that
God had abandoned them.
His emissaries then went in the Latin Rite pre-Schism German churches. They
reported to Vladimir that they saw no glory there, and that their churches
were cold and gray, and their services were boring.
They went to the Greek Byzantine church in Constantinople. There they were
taken to the Divine Liturgy in the great Hagia Sophia. Then they delivered
their report to Vladimir.
The Greeks led us to the edifices where they worship their God, and we do
not know whether we were in heaven or on earth. For the earth there is no
such splendor or such beauty, and we are at a loss how to describe it. We
only know that God dwells among men, and their service is fairer than the
ceremonies of other nations. For we can not forget that beauty.
Thus began the Christianization of Vladimir the Great and the Eastern Slavs.
My journey begins
There are sixty years old, I was born in evangelical Protestantism. I grew
up in churches independent Baptists and Southern Baptists. At a young age,
I said the sinner's prayer and accepted Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior.
Later in my teens, I received the baptism of the believer and was baptized
by immersion. Despite expository sermons and hymns Puritans, I wanted
something deeper.
As I grew up, I began to question my faith, tradition and teachings. Why a
simple prayer giving me a get-out-of-hell-free card? Why has the church
suddenly disappeared after the death of the apostles, but resurfaced in
Northern Europe in the sixteenth century? Why was Sola Scriptura the war
cry, but I saw the cult book idolatrous, and everyone and anyone who
interprets Scripture as they see fit? Why there were tens of thousands of
Johnny-come-lately cuts, while Demand corner of the truth? Questions and
continued.
The Frozen Chosen
After leaving the Baptists, my journey took me in the tradition of the
Reformed Church. I learned all about the five points of Calvinism or TULIP,
but I still believed in free will. I could choose to accept God's grace, or
reject it. I began to question how God could "choose" me or pick me while
damning others to separate him forever.

good Clappy
I decided to look not as denominations of Mega Churches which consisted of
irreverent praise and worship music, rock bands, skits, big screen TVs,
endless ads, sweetened sermons sensitive researcher and calls on the altar
let me nagging doubts.
I saw Mega churches are growing like weeds. Their shelf life was short.
Participants often jumped ship for pastors more hip, more stylized cult and
better entertainment.

My trip concludes
I finally stopped going to church altogether, but as St. Cyprian of
Carthage said: "A man can not have God as his Father if he does not have
the Church as his mother."

I started to become familiar with the teachings of the early Church
Fathers. I began to see clearly that the early Christians believed and
worshiped much differently.
Then later in life, I decided to "cross the Bosphorus." I was accepted as a
catechumen, and I finally chrismated in the Holy Orthodox Church. I had
reached the last stage of my journey to the Peter and Paul Church.
Today I am a member of an Antiochian Orthodox Church (Greek Church of
Antioch). The liturgy is in English, Arabic and Greek. The church is
Eastern Rite or the Byzantine rite. The exotic beauty of the old liturgy,
iconography, mysticism, singing, the permanence of the tradition, the
divine union with an eternal and immutable God and worshiping with the eyes
of the soul (we) are all completely different from the cult of emotions and
teaching of my evangelical Protestant roots.
Orthodox means good faith. I know I do not roll out of bed on Sunday to
hear the sermons of social justice, political correctness, or heterodox
fads.
Conclusion
Despite my rejection of my evangelical Protestant religious tradition, I am
eternally grateful for the moral education and piously I received from him.
In an era of moral relativism, such a legacy is invaluable.
I recently entered the minor orders. I am currently a Acolyte, and I serve
at the altar. Now, an older man, in what years I have left, I decided to
live a godly life and serve the Lord. Jobs, materialism, or the endless
pursuit of pleasure pale compared to the last judgment before God and
eternity. "For what shall it profit a man if he gains the world and loses
his soul? "(Mark 8:36).
As pagans tenth century, I am too "at a loss how to describe it." But like
them, I saw that "God will remain among men" in the Church of the Apostles.
More: ROK Undercover: What it's like a service Attend Orthodox Church of
the East

No comments: