Sunday, September 24, 2017

When you have everything but are still Unhappy

I stomped on the gas pedal as green light. Walkout. Tires peeled. The
throaty roar of the Mustang took over the cockpit. Clutch. Second speed. 45
mph. As I came out of the corner and turned my back office Street turned
sharply. I pointed the throttle harder gases and touched the rear wheel to
the right to correct the slide. Clutch, third gear. 60 mph. The fourth
speed. 75. 85. 90. Bureau to come. Quick. Right foot on the brake, always
difficult. Clutch. Turn the heel of the right foot to the gas. Press the
throttle. Take the third speed. Another heel kick. Second speed.
I brought the car to a near stop as I pushed the clutch and won the first.
I rolled slightly on the sidewalk to avoid scratching the body of my
beautiful, elegant, gray Mustang. I arrived on my parking. Clutch. Engine
off. Just like the best part of my day was over.
On paper, I had everything. A brand new Ford Mustang Pony Package edition.
A working champion as engineer and forth in one of the largest Japanese
companies in the world. A beautiful apartment in one of the cities and the
most desirable areas in the world & # 8212; La Jolla, California. More
money than I know what to do with.
And best of all, I was only 21 years old. You d think it would cause to
celebrate and enjoy life. Instead, I found myself growing more wretched day.
Eastern Europe, 2017

Fast forward three years later. I'm at the table and shook hands with my
boyfriend. He introduced me to the rest of his (ex) programming team. They
went out to dinner to celebrate his departure from the company. Within
minutes of knowledge, one of them asked what I do. I replied with my
usual "I'm self-employed. "I tend not to go into too much detail unless
people really encourage and push me.
He said: "No wonder you're so happy. "I laugh because it is so true.
The funniest part of the story? My friend had already shown that guy my
blog, so an hour later, he realized that I was, and said, "Oh, you're that
guy! "And had a lot of questions for me. Anyway & # 8230;
Recap of Let It
In San Diego, I had the following:

Nice, modern apartment in the middle of one of the best neighborhoods but
had to commute 25 minutes to work ~ I paid $ 1,500 per month for
Brand-new sexy car that I paid $ 700 per month (payment, insurance, gas)
TVs and other gadgets updated
Highly regarded employment in a highly regarded business
My choice of the best warthogs women in the United States had to offer,
most of which had extra books and an extra large mouth & # 8212; and spent
5 hours a day on Instagram

In Eastern Europe, I give the following results:

Apartment in the center that I pay $ 800 a month. It is not modern at all.
My trip walk from the bedroom to the office.
No car, but I have a pass transit unlimited city I paid $ 150 for the year
no TV
A job where I do everything I want and really try to minimize the
importance of avoiding the onslaught of questions and disbelief that always
follows
thin girls everywhere who can cook and be a pleasure, but it is not all
roses

Now, which one do you think of the company told me was the best choice for
me?
The shock factor

I used to be an engineer, so I remember after work happy hour when we all
set NERD about things, while simultaneously complaining about the way was
incompetent management. It was the escape twice a month where one could
grumble and complain to your heart's content with other people who actually
understood.
This farewell dinner with my friend reminded me that, and it shocked me. It
was like stepping into a time machine and be stuck on loop during one of
the most miserable periods in my life. meetings with officials Pointless
delayed projects, incompetent bosses, and general office culture which
encouraged him to do just enough to not get the box (so I can pay the bills
on all those expensive things I mentioned before).
This same friend, who left his job, said Wednesday he got programming more
work done on his own projects, on Thursday and Friday (2 days) he had in
the last two months on the job. He said he worked harder path, but it was
infinitely more exciting, challenging and well-being that his old gig.
I still have trouble explaining to people how it really feels to work for
yourself. Nothing feels really work anymore. You work hard, you feel
drained, but there is no "grind" to him as he was every day in the
corporate world.
shortsightedness
Now I don t subscribe to the one size fits all model. The entrepreneurial
spirit is definitely not for everyone. You're right to be skeptical of any
and all offers that come your way promising you wealth for one hour of work
per day.
I think in fact the business is reasonably good work for many men & # 8212;
especially those with families and in need consistency in their lives. I
also believe there is a right and a wrong way to go about it & # 8212; if
you are so enslaved by debts of consumer products that you are forced to be
there every day with a gun to the head & # 8212; that's going to make the
most unfortunate altogether.
If you don t have the cushion or fallback to get out and still control your
own destiny, the worst I think it is. The last two months of my life in
business, when I knew I was walking to the door, were much more bearable
because I knew I n t need.
The point I try to make is that if you have the basis either of savings, or
a side hustle, you have leverage. You will probably be able to tolerate a
corporate job with an unhappy boss better if you have the freedom to lose
the job and not work for a few months behind. If you're paying thousands of
dollars in credit card debt each, that's impossible.
But if it is for you & # 8212; you owe it to yourself to try. Or the
coolest Mustang in the world won t make you happy.

For the latest travel tips, dating advice, and more & # 8212; sign up for
The Trouble Daily. For more musings business online, listen to the Nomad &
amp; Nerdy Show.
Read more: There is no thing as passive income

No comments: